Growing up, we were taught to take care of our physical health because poor mental health can lead to grave illness and affect our physical health. Mental health is one big issue all over the world. Humans are facing mental health problems a lot these days. Mental health illness affects your physical health seriously that it can damage your body, and sometimes it leads you to death.
While we battle through mental health, it becomes difficult and rather exhausting to keep telling people what we want and what we don’t want. Social media increasingly makes it seem like your mental health struggles are valid only if you share what it's like for you. And while we understand and value sharing our stories and giving space to other people’s stories, we also acknowledge how exhausting and draining it is.
Everybody used to say what the relationship between mental health and physical health is. However, viewed as being separate. But in reality, these two are closely related to each other.
Good mental health responds positively to your physical health. If your mental health is poor, it can negatively affect your physical health.
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines:
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. There is no health without mental health”.
If we talk about the relationship between mental health and physical health, are interconnected. Poor mental health is a risk factor for chronic physical conditions. People with chronic mental health conditions are at high risk of experiencing chronic physical conditions. People with chronic physical conditions are at risk of developing poor mental health.
Through these severe medical conditions, one can face many diseases like Diabetes, Heart Disease, Arthritis, Obesity, Gastro-Intestinal, and cancer. These problems lead you to face major depressive disorder, Panic attacks, mood disorder, Phobic anxiety, Clinical depression, eating disorders, bipolar disorder.
People with mental health conditions suffer from sleep problems. This disorder is more likely to affect these people. This defect can make it hard to fall asleep. This sleeping disorder sometimes leads to breathing problems, which can also make you less sleepy all night. According to a report, around 50% to 80% of people with mental health problems have a sleeping disorder.
Smoking is one of the serious issues for mental health patients. People suffering from this problem are more likely to smoke than those who do not have mental health conditions.
These reasons lead to people suffering from health problems. It is easy to read or see the person suffering from a mental health problem, but these all-things directly affect a person's health. Because of these sleeping problems and smoking, other health issues increase.
Many people suffering from mental health issues do not receive treatment. Some of the research shows that there is a deficiency in the quality of care provided to people suffering from a mental health problem.
People who experience physical illness are mainly suffering from mental health difficulties. Last year people mainly suffered from this problem because of COVID 19 pandemic. This pandemic affected all age groups of people.
The past months have brought many challenges: for health care workers, providing care in difficult circumstances, people living in fear of COVID-19, for students adapting online classes were not easy, workers who used to work on daily wages. This was and is still a tough time for everyone and in this situation, taking care of your mental and physical health is very important.
Some people were spending good times with their family members, but some people were depressed and were worried about their mental health which was slowly-slowly damaging their veil power.
Fighting through this battle, it's crucial to follow some of these steps and take care of their mental health and physical health.
- Eat properly and have your meal on time.
- Get plenty of sleep and eat nutritious meals. Having a good diet is always vital, but when you are in a phase of mental health, you should always follow a good routine and diet to maintain your physical health.
- Lower your caffeine intake. You should always eat fruits and green vegetables.
- Stay connected- Keep in touch with friends and family via email, social media, video calls, or telephone if you are staying alone. If you are with family, you should interact with them, share your problems, do different things so that your mind gets diverted.
- Exercise regularly- Engage in outdoor and more physical activities. Choose a form of exercise that suits you, which you can easily do and that can make your body active and keep your body free from other problems.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs- After consuming alcohol, and drugs. You may feel good for some time, but after that, it reacts in your body and harms your physical health. Stay away from these things. They can hurt your mental and physical health.
- Meditation- One of the best and easiest things a person can do is meditation. Meditation is helpful in all kinds of suffering. It is beneficial for your physical health, as it helps the tolerance power while fighting against any pain. According to a 2014 report published in JAMA, Internal Medicine found that meditation is very much helpful to fight against mental health problems. This can be included in the treatment of mental health.
Mental health services are available if you are feeling low, anxious, and worried about anything. You can contact them and seek help from them.
Every year ‘World Mental Health Day is celebrated, to make people aware of this problem. This year World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) president Dr. Ingrid Daniels has announced the theme for World Mental Health Day 2021 is ‘Mental Health is an Unequal World’. This theme was chosen by global votes, including members of the World Federation for Mental Health, stakeholders.
It would be wonderful to see a world where no life is lost due to mental illness. This dream will happen, and there is hope at the heart of our mental health.
Share This Post On
Leave a comment
You need to login to leave a comment. Log-in