In this present world, the concept of digitalizing the media is playing a dominant role among the people and it has enriched the easy mobilization of the people’s daily routine as well as it has maintained a strong relationship among the people with the implementation of various social media sites like “Facebook”, “Twitter” and so on. Secondly, digital media has changed the traditional concept of mass media into various digital platforms like the implementation of the mobile apps of various news channels for various news updates helps us to be acquainted with the day to day news updates.
Despite, all the implementations of digital media, Covid 19 has been a catastrophe for the health as well as for the whole world and also it has implemented the conceptualization of online education has helped many students of schools and colleges to gain some knowledge with the implementation of various video conferencing platforms like “Google Meet” “Zoom ”,“Skype” and so on.
Role of education during the pandemic
In these two years of transitory situation, the various video conference sites like “Google Meet” as well as “Zoom” have played a significant role among the students of schools, colleges as well as universities. They compete with the books as the leading means of communication in the classroom which is emerging as a necessary resource for students all over the world. This form of education is slowly combating the traditional concept of education into a digitalized form.
As a result, the digital media during the pandemic has changed drastically with the distinctive rise of e-learning, whereby the initiatives are taken properly and various research suggests that online learning has been shown to increase information and take less time. Even before Covid 19, there had been a growth and adoption in the digital media with global Ed-Tech investments. The concept of the online education is applicable not just to learn academics but also extended to learn the extra- curricular activities for students. The demand for online education has been risen significantly and there is a big hope that it will continue soon in the future also.
The concept of the online education during the pandemic has certain advantages as well as disadvantages.
• One of the biggest challenge faced during the online education is the manner of efficiency to deliver lessons to students and has a number of tools such as videos , PDFs, Podcast and teachers can use all the tools as a part of their lesson plan and teachers are able to become more efficient educators.
• Another advantage of online education is that it allows students to attend classes from any location of their choice. it allows students to reach out to a more extensive works and the online education offers the accessibility of time and space to the students.
• Online education is far more affordable as compared to physical learning because of the elimination of the cheap cost point of student’s transportation. Additionally, all the course are available online thus creating a paperless environment which is more affordable.
• The online classes can be taken from the home or any place .
• Some students prefer to learn through the audio visual as well as some students are stuck in the classroom and some other students are solo learners.
• The problems which the students face during the online class is the inability to focus on the screen for a long period of time. There is also a greater chance for the students to be easily distracted by social media or other sites.
• Another problem is the internet connectivity. In smaller cities and towns, there may be a continuity in learning for the child.
• In an online class, there are less interaction between students and teachers. The school authorities allow other forms of communication between students and teachers. This includes online messages, emails, and video conferencing system that will allow face to face interaction and reduce the sense of isolation.
• Many parents are concerned about the health hazard of having their children so much time in viewing the screen. It is one of the biggest concern and disadvantages of online learning.
As a result, the role of the education during the pandemic has changed drastically with the distinctive rise of e-learning, whereby teaching is undertaken remotely on a digital platform and various research suggests that online learning has been shown to increase the information and take less time meaning the changes coronavirus have caused. It is the teachers who lay the foundation of character-building in our sons and daughters to develop enlightened citizens and they are the true nation builders and they need to partner with parents to promote online learning so that they can collaborate with children in the process and inspire them to learn with interest.
The president of India, Shri. Ramnath Kovind appreciated the struggle of the teachers on the virtual ceremony occasion of “National Teacher’s Awards” on 5th September 2020 spoke about the new education policy, by proclaiming that “Teachers should be at the center of fundamental changes being made in the education system. According to the new education policy, every possible step needs to be taken to enable teachers. Efforts will have to be made to select the most promising people in the teaching profession at every level.”
At last, I would like to convey that schools and colleges are either shut or affected due to Covid-19 and in such a situation, digital technology has key role in imparting education. It is important that you upgrade your skills to use digital technologies so that your teachings become more effective.
Share This Post On
Leave a comment
You need to login to leave a comment. Log-in