Last February, while the world was still dealing with severe post-pandemic consequences, Russia invaded Ukraine.
Regardless of the reasons, this conflict started much earlier than just three months ago; many predicted its escalation.
Western media have mostly taken their side in this story, turning Russia into the evil enemy of the small and defenseless Ukraine, which has some support, particularly from the United States. The fact here is that the media has the power of shaping reality and people's perceptions. Above all, it is important to maintain principles because, regardless of the causes or the culprits, war is not justifiable to solve conflicts. The death of innocents and hate towards civilians, no matter which side they belong to, should not be defended.
Russia and Ukraine are not the only countries facing conflicts
The world is currently in a period of peace, or rather, an era where wars are less compared to previous times. In the XX century, specifically in 1990, there were at least 50 wars due to the collapse of the Soviet Union.
In 2011 there were around 40 due to the so-called Arab Spring, and in 2013/2014, there was a decrease of 30 armed conflicts. The concept of war has changed; a war was supposed to be one nation against another or a civil war between groups within the same territory. Today, wars have a much more political tone therefore not all are against a country. Examples include the Rwandan Genocide; militia fights among Kurdish from Iraq or Somalia.
- Ethiopia: is a country that has long been facing a tense and violent situation, especially in the Tigray region.
- Sahara - Morocco: sadly, the ceasefire that lasted for more than 30 years ceased in October 2021. It occurred in the Guerguerat area.
- Cameroon: since 2017, this country has been suffering from attacks by various separatist groups. Usually, civilians are the target, so hospitals and schools are the major sites of attacks. According to the UN, there are an estimated four million people in need of humanitarian aid in Cameroon.
- Mozambique: the country is suffering the severe consequences of the pandemic, parallel to violence by jihadist groups and the Islamic State's takeover of central Africa.
- Central African Republic: a region that has been under attack from various groups and has been in a very violent political situation. There are six rebel groups in control since 2012.
- Syria: this country has already been officially at war for a whole decade. It all started to remove the president Bashar Al Assad by armed groups. The country suffered terrible destruction, being the nation with the world's highest number of displaced people.
- Conflicts between Israel and Palestine have not ceased. Palestine claims recognition as a nation, while Israel claims to be an autonomous country with the support of the United States. A solution is still a long way off.
- Afghanistan suffered from not only the Taliban and their war against the government but also from the presence of the Islamic State on its territory. The violence is still happening in its streets due to armed groups taking control.
- Yemen: for six years now, this country has been locked in a civil war that seems to have no end in sight. According to reports from organizations, Yemen needs humanitarian aid for 80% of its population.
Based on these data, without considering other internal conflicts in countries such as China or North Korea, the Russian vs. Ukraine war has taken the world's attention, since the actors involved have intentions and goals beyond the seizure of territories or the fight against violence.
War and discrimination
Due, in part, to the Western media portraying Russia as a nation of murderous barbarians, Russia was declared a public enemy of the world in less than a week, thanks to its actions in Ukraine.
This highly regarded media perspective was followed by brands and products leaving the country or suspending services. We could see McDonnals closing its restaurants, or fashion brands withdrawing their merchandise from the territory. As a result of the trade blockade against Russia, the country has had to readjust its economy and Europe is now dependent on American natural gas rather than Russian gas, as all business between nations with Russia has been suspended.
There are also many Russians who oppose this war and Putin, but beyond that, the waves of hatred have occurred regardless of anything other than what is shown online. In Paris, the Russian Cultural Center was vandalized. The manager of the site, Konstantin Volkov blames the French media. Several similar crimes against small businesses and places related to Russians have been reported all over France.
The wave of Russophobia is spreading to the corners, destroying culture and contributions. Russian music is no longer preferred by those who used to play it, it is not convenient to anger, and it is not convenient for anyone to promote a nation that invades another.
Even Fyodor Dostoyevsky, a favorite who has become accepted, is no longer read, books burned or lost in various cities.
Russian scientists have been and are known to have been tortured and attacked by their government and today, they are victims of a world that discredits their work. In Madrid, cases have been reported ranging from the persecution of families to acts of hatred against Russian speakers in the streets, and this nation is not even involved in this war.
Share This Post On
Leave a comment
You need to login to leave a comment. Log-in